What is a Recovery order? – What to do when the other parent won’t return the children

by | Jul 1, 2019 | Video

Child custody disputes and divorce go hand in hand. It is common in family law for one parent to overhold or to refuse to return children to the other parent. In circumstances such as these, it may be necessary to apply for what is known as a recovery order with the help from a family lawyer.

So, what is a recovery order?

A recovery order is defined in section 67Q of the Family Law Act. It is an order of the Court that may require a child to be returned to a parent, a person with a parenting order, or a person with parental responsibility.

Essentially a recovery order allows the police to find and return your children to you.

If you do not have an order that the children live with you or spend time with you, you may need to apply to the Court for such an order as well as a recovery order. This can be done at the same time.

If you think you may require a recovery order, or if you have any questions about custody, family law, or parenting orders, call Testart Family Lawyers to set up an appointment for a free initial consultation. At Testart Family Lawyers, we know that nothing is as important as the safety and security of your children.